Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> St Mary's Church, Crossmolina [graphic]
St Mary's Church, Crossmolina
|Main Creator:||Loftus, Emmet, photographer|
St. Mary's Church of Ireland was built in 1810 at a cost of £2,204 pounds, six shillings and two oldpence. Over nine hundred pounds was a grant from the Board of First Fruits, the rest was raised by parochial assessment. It can hold six hundred persons and although the Union has increased in size, the congregation is not large. The church is described by Lewis in his topographical dictionary, as a plain edifice with a square tower and a spire. The spire is not there anymore and there is a local tradition that the spire was knocked off by lightning in the last century.
|Published / Created:||
07 June 1994
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 19A ; frame number: 1A
North Mayo Historical and Archaeological Society
Photograph taken at 18:25, 07 June 1994.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Crossmolina, Co. Mayo, Province of Connacht, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_19A/1A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.