Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Crossmolina Castle [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Loftus, Emmet, photographer|
Crossmolina Castle still stands on it's imposing site opposite St. Mary's Church. It appears that the lawn extended to the Deel river and took in now what is Church Street. Early in the 16th century O'Donnell, chief of Tir Connell marched into Tirawley and destroyed the castle of Crossmolina and also the castle of Caorhananoras, known now as Castlehill. He took hostages and many spoils. It was thought that it was not rebuilt after. It appears that when Francis Jackson came with the Cromwellian army he got a grant of fifty thousand acres. He lived for a time in Crossmolina castle, after the restoration his charter of title was signed by King Charles II in 1669.
|Published / Created:||
07 June 1994
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 19A ; frame number: 5A
North Mayo Historical and Archaeological Society
Photograph taken at e.g. 18:35, 07 June 1994.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Crossmolina, Co. Mayo, Province of Connacht, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_19A/5A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.