[Cropped fragment of an engraved bill-head (presumably cut from a larger sheet of paper or receipt) for the Turner Hammersmith Iron Works, Balls Bridge [Ballsbridge], Dublin featuring an image of the entrance into Turner's Iron Works]
[graphic] [John Kirkwood].
|Main Creator:||Turner, Richard, 1798-1881|
Cropped fragment of an engraved bill-head [engraved by John Kirkwood (d. 1853)] presumably cut from a larger sheet of paper or receipt for the Turner Hammersmith Iron Works, Ballsbridge, Dublin (this is now the location of Hume House, Pembroke Road, Ballsbridge). Richard Turner was an iron founder and manufacturer of glasshouses - he was responsible for the Curvilinear Range in the Irish National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, the Palm House at Belfast Botanic Gardens, the glasshouse in the Winter Gardens, Regent's Park, London and with Decimus Burton, the Palm House, Kew. Samuel Lewis’s 'Topographical Dictionary of Ireland' (published 1837, two volumes, with an accompanying atlas), describes the new Hammersmith Works under the entry for ‘Ball’s-Bridge’ - ‘Near the village are the Hammersmith iron-works, established in 1834 by Mr. R. Turner: the front of this extensive establishment is 200 feet long, presenting a handsome façade towards the road; and at the back are numerous dwelling houses for the workmen, which are called the Hammersmith cottages. The road on which these works are situated has been greatly improved; wide footpaths have been formed, and the whole is lighted with gas".
|Published / Created:||
Dublin : Kirkwood, Crow St.; n.d., ca. 1834-1840?].
This item is held in the Department of Ephemera.
Physical description: 1 bill-head : ill. ; 5.4 mx 15.3 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.