Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> St. Columba's Hospital, Sligo. [graphic]
St. Columba's Hospital, Sligo.
|Main Creator:||Curran, Patricia. photographer|
This beautiful edifice is built in the Elizabethan style.Two further wings were added to the building, one in 1847 and one in 1877. Saint Columba's Hospital was originally a Psychitaric Hospital designed to house 250 patients. This number was increased to 650 with the addition of the further two wings to the building. The foundation stone was laid on the 7th November 1847.A bottle containing copies of the Sligo Champion and Sligo Journal newspapers and representations in copper and silver of the old coin of the Realm were placed in the cavity stone. The building has recently been sold, with plans to house a hotel on the premises.
|Published / Created:||
19 September 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 21A ; frame number: 23
Sligo Field Club.
Photograph taken at. 13:00, 19 Sep 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Sligo, Co. Sligo, Province of Connaught, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_21A/23||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.