[Car and carts outside Farrell's Carriage and Funeral Establishment, Marlborough Street, Dublin]
|Main Creator:||Hogan, W. D., photographer|
|Published / Created:||
June or July 1922.
Research by our Flickr Commons users established the location of this photograph at Marlborough Street, Dublin, and narrowed the date to June or July 1922.
Research by our Flickr Commons users established that W.D. Hogan took this photograph from the corner of Upper Gloucester Street (now Sean McDermott Street), looking south and down Marlborough Street, Dublin - probably in late June or very early July 1922. The business pictured behind the barricade, Farrell's Undertakers, was at 66 Marlborough Street. Immediately to the right, behind the wall and gate, was St Thomas's Church. This barricade was placed by anti-treaty Irregulars during the 'Battle of Dublin' in the Irish Civil War. The church and much of the surrounding area was burned in early July 1922. In the decade after the Civil War, the ruins were demolished, and the streets relaid to a slightly different pattern. The street is no longer the 'T-junction' shown here, and runs straight 'through' the wall and old church graveyard. A new St Thomas's Church was however built very close by in 1930 - over what was the parish hall on Findlater Place...
Additional information about this photograph is available on the National Library of Ireland's Flickr Commons photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/38919259014/
Physical description: 1 photographic print ; 11 x 16 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|HOG144||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland