Castle of Enniskillen
Two men in a boat row past the ruins of the castle of Enniskillen, on the banks of Lough Erne, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[S.l. : s.n., between ca. 1770 and 1800]
According to Rosalind M. Elmes this drawing is from the Collection formed by William Conyngham Burton (1733-1796), the Antiquary. Phillpps MS. 24466.
Formerly at call number 991TB.
Inscribed in ink m.l. on sheet: This castle was broke down by Philip Maguire the owner in 1508 to prevent O'Donnel chieftain of Tyrconnel his Ennemy [sic] to take possession of it. Annals of Connaught in M.S. possession of Chs. O'Connor Esqr.
Inscribed in ink on verso: No. 3. XD.
Inscribed in ink u.r.: No. 3.
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on sheet.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen and ink wash ; image 16.6 x 24.2 cm., on sheet 23.2 x 37.6 cm., on mount 41 x 57 cm.
Citations/References: Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings, Rosalind M. Elmes. New edition revised and enlarged by Michael Hewson. - Dublin : Malton Press for the National Library of Ireland Society, 1975. p. 80.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|ET B510||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.