Castle & Church of Dungarvan, Co.y Kilkenny
Brien delint. ; AC. pinxt. [26?] Oct. 1799.
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist.|
View of ruined castle and church at Dungarvan, County Kilkenny, Ireland. On the left is a four or five-storey tower house, with partially blocked-up round-headed entrance in what looks like the north wall. Various windows are shown. Further to the right is a church with bell-cot on the west gable, and a north doorway. Above is a tower of about four storeys, with roof crenellations. This tower was presumably intended to serve as living quarters of a cleric who whould have conducted services in the church.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
2[6?]th October, 1799.
Title inscribed l.c. on sheet under image.
Cooper probably copied this picture with permission from the Conyngham estate. The church was demolished in 1811 but the fate of the castle is unknown. This drawing is probably the only surviving visual record of either building and, therefore, of considerable historical value.
Physical description: 1 drawing : sepia watercolour ; image 12.2 x 13.6 cm., on sheet 17.5 x 25.2 cm.
Citations/References: Some unpublished Austin Cooper illustrations / Conleth Manning. - The Journal of Isish Archaeology IX, 1998, P. 129-30, with Plate 3.
Attributed to Austin Cooper, (1759-1830), after an original drawing by James George Oben, (fl. 1779-1819).