The governors of the charity schools of St. Mary's Parish, most respectfully request, that you will be so good as to appear at St. Mary's Church on Sunday the 16th instant, when the annual charity sermon will be preached by the Rev. James Wilmot Ormsby, A.M. for the support of these schools; consisting of twenty boys and twenty girls, who are clothed, dieted, lodged and religiously educated, and duly apprenticed and thus prevented from the contagious, and ruinous effects of vice and poverty...
|Summary:||Dated at head: School-House, Denmark-Street, Feb. 4th, 1800. Reference to the fact that the parish is in dire need and requires donations - "Benefactions will be greatfully received" - in order to sustain the numbers of pupils currently attending the school. "The removal of many opulent families from this to other parishes, has lessened the income, and the high price of all necessaries of life encreased the expenditure of the schools so exceedingly...." (and the fact that as many of the children's parents' have "entered into military service") meantthat there was little financial support forthcoming for the children. [The Church of Ireland parish of St. Mary's was separated from the parish of St. Michans and made a district parish by Act of Parliament on 20 November 1697. St. Mary's Church, Dublin located on the corner of Mary Street and Jervis Street, Dublin was a place of worship for parishioners on Dublin's north-side before it was closed in 1986]. |
|Published / Created:||
Feb. 4th, 1800.
|Notes:||This item is held in the Department of Ephemera. |
Physical description: 1 sheet ; 1/4⁰.
As a digital copy of this item is available, the original will not be issued.
|Call Number||View In||Collection|
LO Folder 8/48
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.