A N:W: View of the Abbey of Newtown near Trim, Co;y Meath
A:C: delint. 15th. May 1785 ; Pinxt 22d May
|Summary:||A north-west view of Newtown Trim, County Meath, Ireland, showing on the left the large church of the Canons of the Augustinian Congregation of St. Victor of Paris (and for a short time a Cathedral). It was once one of the longest churches in Ireland. On the right is what could be the ruins of a tower house |
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
|Notes:||From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles & c. & c. in Ireland, Vol. I |
Title inscribed in ink l.c.
Inscribed in ink on facing page (verso of 2122 TX (1) 84): There are numerous other interesting remains which still hallow and adorn Ath-Truim (the ancient name of this place, meaning "the Pass or Ford of the Elder Trees") ... Somewhat less than a mile below Trim, and beside the Bridge of Newtown, we find a group of monastic remains. In 1206 the English Prelate, Simon de Rochfort, founded here an abbey of Canons Regulars, and removed the episcopal see of Clonard to this spot. The principal ruins consist of the monastery, withits usual appendages, and the remains of the ancient Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul, which is one of the most elegant structures and ... one of the very earliest specimens of the light pointed gothic, in the Kingdom ...
Image 9.7 x 21.5 cm. Watermark u.l. on sheet bears the letters JW
Physical description: 1 drawing image 9.1 x 21 cm., on sheet 18.2 x 26.7 cm.
Citations/References: An Eighteenth Century Antiquary : The Sketches, Notes and Diaries of Austin Cooper (1759-1830) / Liam Price. - Dublin 1942 pages 100-102 with Plate 39
Citations/References: Guide to National and Historic Monuments of Ireland / Peter Harbison. - Dublin, 1992 page 273 with brief bibliograpy
|Credits:||Attributed to Austin Cooper|
As a digital copy of this item is available, the original will not be issued.
|Call Number||View In||Collection|
Coo 2122 TX (1) 85
||Prints & Drawings|