Bunlin Bridge, Co. Donegal
|In Collection:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Published / Created:||
|Notes:||Research by our Flickr Commons users established that the cottage, the mill wheel, and the humpback bridge are long gone. The cottage was Widow Algoe’s, and Tuck Mill was a flax mill. They unearthed references to Molly Maguire activity in the area, and open-air masses in the late 1860s. In 1876, the widowed Mrs Algoe was evicted with her six children from the cottage for allegedly cutting some trees, “contrary to the order of” her landlord. She retook possession of her cottage in 1878, perhaps thinking that the assassination of her landlord, Lord Leitrim, might save her. However, the estate’s agents evicted her again. And in August 1939, in what must have been a very slow month for news, the Londonderry Sentinel newspaper considered it newsworthy that a pair of swans chose this inlet to nest and rear their young. |
Additional information about this photograph is available on the National Library of Ireland's Flickr Commons photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/49776134981/
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 photographic negative glass 16.5 x 21.5 cm.
Geographic Coverage: Bunlin Bridge, County Donegal, Province of Ulster, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: Bunlin Bridge. Co. Donegal. 1279. W. L.
As a digital copy of this item is available, the original will not be issued.
|Call Number||View In||Collection|
NPA Reading Room - Appt. only
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland