Letters to John Ribton Garstin concerning an inscription in Neale Park, Co. Mayo,
Neale Park, Co. Mayo was the seat of the Barons Kilmaine (Browne). Their early 18th century house, known as The Neale, has a number of follies in the grounds - including an unfinished tower; a stepped pyramid, erected by John Browne M.P. (who died in 1762) and a 'Temple of the Winds' erected in 1865 by John Cavendish Browne, (1794-1873), third Baron Kilmaine. The house was sold in the 1930s and is now in a ruinous condition.
John Ribton Garstin, (1836-1917), was an archaeologist and an antiquarian expert with a particular interest in heraldry, pedigrees and genealogy. He was a member of the Royal Irish Academy, the Royal Dublin Society, the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, and vice-president of the County Louth Archaeological Society. Born in Dublin, he moved to Co. Louth in 1877 where he served as High Sheriff from 1880 to 1881 and then served on the Grand Jury from 1881 until 1889. When the Grand Jury ceased to function, he was one of three members from that body elected to Louth County Council.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 5376||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.