Marsh's Library, founded in 1702 by Archibishop Marsh.
|Main Creator:||Cluna Studio|
Card features a hand-coloured wood cut illustration of the entrance into Marsh's Library from St. Patrick's Close - a man wearing a bowler hat is seen from behind walking down the street while a young boy plays with a ball. Printed inside the card is "Greetings" in bold black font. It was the first public library in Ireland, built by Archbishop Narcissus Marsh (1638-1713) in 1701.
|Published / Created:||
Dublin : Cluna Studio, [undated].
This item is held in the Department of Ephemera.
The Cluna Studio was established at 39 Harcourt Street, Dublin in 1923 by Gertrude M. Grew, [known as Gertie]. Born in Portadown, she studied at the School of Art in Belfast and at the Royal Academy of Art in London. She embroidered in the early 1920s in Dublin before opening the Cluna Studio where she was joined by Margaret O'Keefe who had trained at the Metropolitan School of Art, Dublin. At the Cluna Studio the two women produced hand-made jewellery, enamelled metal-work, stencilled fabrics, garments for children and coloured embroidery.
Physical description: 1 postcard : hand-coloured ill.; 20.4 x 13.5 cm..
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.