The compossicon booke of Conought,
[undated, ca. 1820s].
|Main Creator:||Betham, William, Sir, 1779-1853|
'The Compossicon Booke of Conought' details the inquisitions and agreement made in July - October 1585 between the chieftains of Connaught and the Royal Commission under Sir Richard Bingham for the resettlement of the county on feudal lines. The "Booke" is divided into sections: The Office of Thomond, Clare, Clare and Thomond, Clanrickard, Ireconought, Dunmore, Longford, Bealamoe, Office of Mayo, Mayo, Office of Sligo, Sligo, O'Rourke's Country, Office of Leotum, Maghery Conought, Imany.
Manuscript in Sir William Betham's handwriting. Large quarto. Consisting of 149 numbered folios. Paper watermarked "Swift Brook Mills". Bound in contemporary dark green morocco over green cloth boards. Previous owner's signature on front free endpaper "This Book belongs to / John Kelly / Essex Lawn / Roscommon". Label on verso of front cover "Milltown Park S. J. Library / O'Brien Bequest / C8/S5".
Physical description: 1 volume (149 folios).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 42,511||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.