Log of H.M.S. Liffey commanded by Captain J. O. Johnson, kept by Conyers Lang,
1867 July 31 - 1868 November 10.
Initially the HMS Liffey served in the Mediterranean but in 1867 she was on the home station. The log begins with her departure from Plymouth, and for the next few months she cruised off the south-west coast of Ireland, from Queenstown to Berehaven and Foynes and then back. After her return to England she formed part of an expedition to bring the new British Ambassador to Copenhagen, and then continued to Kronstadt. In July 1868 she was employed as guard of honour to Queen Victoria at Cowes in the Isle of Wight. In October 1868 she proceeded to Madeira and then on to Colon in Panama. The log records details of provisions taken on board, of changes to the crew, of drills and repairs, and the names of other ships encountered on voyages. In 1877 she was converted to a store hulk and her machinery was removed. She spent the remainder of her life at Coquimbo in Chile, where she was sold and hulked in 1903.
Illustrated title page, 28 view (watercolours and pencil sketches throughout) and 4 coloured maps showing the ship's routes. Bound in calf with gold tooling, later spine, marbled endpapers. Detailed and illustrated record of a Royal Naval frigate. HMS Liffey was launched in 1856. She was a wooden-hulled, three-masted sailing ship with auxillary steam power (screw-propelled), weighed 2654 tons, and carried an armanent of 51 guns and a crew of 545.
Physical description: 1 volume (145 pages)
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 42,493||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.