[View of the landscape and obelisk erected in 1736 on the slopes of the river Boyne in memory of the Battle of the Boyne, Oldbridge, Co. Meath].
Original watercolour of the granite memorial obelisk (over 170 feet tall) erected by subscription in 1736 on the slopes of the Boyne river in memory of the Battle of the Boyne; accompanied by a letter on "Distillery, Drogheda, Co. Louth" headed paper with in manuscript hand a transcription of what was carved on the monument. This reads: "The Boyne Obelisk. / Sacred to the Glorious Memory / of King William the Third / who, on the first of July 1690 passed / the river over this place to attack / James the Second at the head of the / Popish Army advantageously posted / on the sixth side of it and did on that / day by a successful battle secure to us / and to our posterity our liberties, laws and / religion, in consequence of this action / James the Second left this Kingdom and / fled to France. / This memorial of our deliverance / was erected in the ninth year of the reign / of King George the Second, the first stone / being laid by Lionel Sackville, Duke of / Dorset, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. MDCCXXXVI ". [These last lines are transcribed in Latin followed by] "This monument was erected by the grateful contributions of several Protestants of Great Britain and Ireland". The monument was blown up in 1923, the base remains.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[n.d., ca. 1900?].
Formerly held at PD 4532 TF.
With a letter on "Distillery, Drogheda, Co. Louth" headed paper with a transcription of what was carved into the obelisk.
Physical description: 1 drawing, 1 sheet : watercolour and pencil ; 19.8 x 23.6 cm..
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.