Vue de l'église Ste. [Sainte] Geneviève, Panthéon français.
Séputure destinée aux mânes des Grands Hommes et des Dignitaires de l'Empire /
[Nicolas Marie Joseph] Chapuy sculp. Garbizra [or Gabrizza?] del..
|Main Creator:||Chapuy, Nicolas-Marie-Joseph, 1790-1858|
Rough translation of the title reads: "View of the church of Saint Geneviève, French Panthéon. Burial place for the remains of Great Men and Dignitaries of the Empire". Drawn by a [?] Garbizra [or Gabrizza?] and engraved by Nicolas-Marie-Joseph Chapuy and numbered "No. 57" at top right of sheet. The Panthéon was originally built as a church dedicated to St. Geneviève; however following the death of statesman Honoré Gabriel Riqueti, comte de Mirabeau on 2 April 1791, the National Constituent Assembly ordered that the building to be altered from that of a church to a mausoleum for the interment of great Frenchmen [and from 1907, Frenchwomen] amongst them Voltaire, Rousseau, Émile Zola, Louis Braille and Marie Curie. The inscription above the entrance to the building as depicted in this image reads: "Aux Grands Hommes La Patrie Recommaissante ["To great men, the grateful homeland"]. The original proof copy of this image is held in the Châteaux de Versailles et de Trianon, Versailles.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[Paris? : s.l., 1810].
Physical description: 1 print [cropped inside plate mark] ; engraving, image 17 x 25.1., on sheet 21.9 x 28.7 cm..
Physical description: Formerly part of the French Prints Collection.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.