A volume of manuscript poems attributed to Charles Wolfe,
|Main Creator:||Wolfe, Charles, 1791-1823|
The volume, which was beautifully bound by the Dublin master-binder, George Mullen, contains one hundred poems, none of which were published. The poems in the first two thirds of the book are written in a fair hand, and the remainder in a freer style.
Charles Wolfe was a clergyman of the Church of Ireland, and while a student in Trinity College Dublin had a distinguished academic career. His best known work is 'The Burial of Sir John Moore', which was well received when it was published circa 1814 and was included in many poetry anthologies in the 19th century. Wolfe's friend, John Russell, gathered what poems he could find and published them with Wolfe's sermons in 'The Remains of the Rev. Charles Wolfe' in 1825. And in 1903 C. Litton Falkiner edited 'The Poems of Charles Wolfe: with an introductory Memoir' and published a further, differently titled, volume in 1909.
Physical description: 1 volume.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 42,381||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.