The Derry Celebrations.
Londonderry Cathedral : Procession of 'Prentice Boys [Apprentice Boys of Derry] : Burning the effigy of [Robert] Lundy : Corporation Buildings /
From Sketches furnished by W.F. Wakeman of Enniskillen.
|Main Creator:||Wakeman, William F. (William Frederick), 1822-1900, artist.|
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[London] : The Pictorial World, January 2nd, 1875.
Formerly held at PD HP (1875) 4.
Physical description: 1 print : woodcut ; 32.6 x 22.5 cm., sheet 39.6 x 27.3 cm..
Illustration published on page 352 of 'The Pictorial World', London, 2 January 1875 from sketches attributed to William Frederick Wakeman, (1822-1900). Robert Lundy, (died 1717), was the Governor of Londonderry during the Siege of Derry in 1688-1689. To this day he is regarded as a traitor by Ulster loyalists; the first burning of an effigy of Lundy occured in 1832, 143 years after the Siege of Derry and is organised annually by the Apprentice Boys of Derry during celebrations to mark the anniversary of the shutting of the gates of Derry in 1688. As depicted in an image here, (lower left of page) the effigy was originally traditionally hung from or in front of the 90 foot tall Walker's Pillar by John Smyth [also known as Governor Walker’s Monument, the pillar was erected in memory of Rev. George Walker]; this pillar was blown up by the Provisional IRA in August 1973. Only the pedestal remains to this day. A new statue of Governor Walker, incorporating a leg from the original statue, now stands in the Walker Memorial Garden next to the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.