The Cross of Cong
Drawn on stone by H.O'Neill.
|Main Creator:||O'Neill, Henry, 1798-1880, artist.|
Colour chromolithograph of the Cross of Cong (held in the National Museum of Ireland - NMI R2833) which was made in the early 12th century to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland. It is known from written sources to have been acquired in AD 1122 by Toirrdelbach Ua Conchobair [Turlough O’Conor], High King of Ireland. The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, Co. Mayo for centuries. Note top left of print distressed and cropped either side. Printed at bottom left of print (and cropped); "[D]rawn on stone by H.O'Neill". Printed at bottom right of print: "Morison & Co. Impt. [Imprint], Dublin".
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Dublin : Morison & Co. Imprint., Dublin, [n.d.]
Physical description: 1 print : col. chromolithograph ; 80.2 x 51.2 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|PD 4154 TD||
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.