The cathedral towns and intervening places of England, Ireland, and Scotland /
Thomas W. Silloway and Lee L. Powers.
|Main Creator:||Silloway, Thomas W.|
The Authors, having travelled somewhat leisurely over important parts of Ireland and Scotland, and in a yet more deliberate and critical manner over the principal parts of England, observing not only salient points in the life of each country, but at the same time passing in review their history and work, and believing that a synopsis of what their New England eyes, cars, and minds saw, heard, and discovered, would be acceptable to the public, one of them prepared a series of articles which were published in one of the weekly papers of Boston. The interest awakened, and a belief that these reminiscences should be put into a more permanent form, have inclined the authors to amend the articles as the case seemed to demand, and they are thus presented in this volume.
When the original papers were prepared, a departure from the usual custom of writers on travel was made. Instead of simply recording personal observations, the labor was extended by the incorporation of historic and biographic facts, the authors hoping that, while their work would be valuable and interesting as a compound to those familiar with the facts, it would also be entertaining and instructive to that large class, in all communities, who are without the means of obtaining such information. Care was therefore exercised to obtain data verified by the testimony of various authors.
The articles having been published in narrative style, it has been thought well to present them again in that form; and the authors wish to say by way of apology, if one be needed, that the opinions and criticisms expressed are such as impressed their own minds, and are not reflections of the minds of others. With this explanation, and craving the indulgence and patience of the author, they send forth their volume. 0
|Published / Created:||
United States : Createspace, 2015.
|Edition:||Reprint of the third edition, published in 1887.|
First published in 1883.
Physical description: 182 pages ; 23 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|15A 6497||Main Reading Room||Books|