Collection: Stephen Griffin Collection >> Annual report of the commissioners of emigration of the state of...
Annual report of the commissioners of emigration of the state of New York, :
for the year ending December 31, 1868.
|Main Creator:||New York (State). Commissioners of Emigration.|
|Published / Created:||
New York: : Douglas Taylor, book and job printer, 89 Nassau Street., 1869.
Between 1848 and 1890 the New York State Commissioners of Emigration were responsible for the reception of immigrants entering New York City. The commissioners conducted medical inspections of immigrants, and they regulated port vessels, boarding houses, railroad agents, and other businesses dealing with immigrants. After 1855 the commissioners operated an immigrant reception center at Castle Garden in lower Manhattan, under contract with the Federal government. (This facility was the predecessor to Ellis Island, opened in 1892.) The published annual reports of the Commissioners of Emigration are available in the State Library. However, the records of the commissioners are not in the State Archives or the National Archives, and are presumed to have been destroyed. Charles O'Conor, 1804-1884, the very prominent Irish-American lawyer, who brought down the Tweed Gang and who was also a presidential candidate in 1872, has penned an article at pages 125-132 entitled "Opinion as to matters in controversy between Commissioners of Emigration and Commissioners of Charities and Correction."
Physical description: 132 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
|Contained in:||Stephen Griffin Collection|
GR P 635: Stephen Griffin Collection
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|GR P 635||Main Reading Room||Griffin|