Challenging myths of masculinity :
understanding physical cultures /
Lee F. Monaghan and Michael Atkinson.
|Main Creator:||Monaghan, Lee F., 1972-|
Includes bibliographical references (pages 167-183) and index.
Physical description: viii, 206 pages ; 24 cm.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: From myths to empirically grounded understandings: researching men's and boys' physical cultures
- 'Postmodern' muscle: the embodied pleasures of vibrant physicality
- Cosmetic surgery: men who walk/erase the gender line
- Burly 'bouncers,' cardboard cutouts and physical violence: an ethnography of nightclub security work
- Masculinity on the menu: body slimming and self-starvation as physical culture
- Challenging the obesity myth: men's critical understandings of the body mass index
- Schoolboys, physical education and bullying: 'hey, leave those kids alone!'