A treatise on civil architecture, in which the principles of that art are laid down,
and illustrated by a great number of plates, accurately designed, and elegantly engraved by the best hands, by William Chambers.
|Main Creator:||Chambers, William, Sir, 1723-1796|
|Published / Created:||
London, Printed by J. Dixwell, in St. Martin's Lane, 1768.
|Citation:||National Library of Ireland. Department of Manuscripts.|
Dedicated to John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, by Sir William Chambers.
Similar volumes were displayed at the exhibition curated by Dr. Philip Maddock (and based on his own collection) 'Rescuing the Irish Parliamentary Bindings', at the Club of Odd Volumes, 77 Mount Vernon Street, Boston, in February-March 2013.
Physical description: iv, 86 p., 50 pl.. 54 x 38 cm.
Restricted access ; Permission required ;
The binding of this book is a facsimile of one of the Irish Parliamentary bindings destroyed in the Public Record Office in 1922. It is one of a series of facsimiles of the Irish Parliamentary bindings commissioned by Dr Philip Maddock of Barrington, Rhode Island, United States of America. He donated this volume to the National Library of Ireland on 18th April 2013. Dr Maddock, a medical graduate of University College Dublin, has carried out extensive research into the history of Irish bookbinding and the work of Sir Edward Sullivan.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS L 332||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.