A large bound [quarter morocco] ledger containing manuscript application and allotment details [on oblong folio sheets, numbered 201 – 450] for shares in the Irish Press newspaper, including applications numbered 5001 - 10,468;
|Main Creator:||Irish Press (Dublin, Ireland)|
|Citation:||National Library of Ireland. Department of Manuscripts.|
Note. some sheets reinforced at edges.
The entries contain full details of applicants names and addresses, including those from the whole island of Ireland, England, U.S.A., Australia and New Zealand and details concering occupation [including for instance 'barbers authoress' Miss Dorothy Macardle]. The document records the numbers of shares applied for and granted, the amount of deposit and other comments. A large number of sheets are signed at the bottom corner [over 100 times] 'E. deV' or as 'Eamon de Valera' with date [approx. 30 times]. The applications are partly listed in alphabetical order within groups. Several sheets are signed by Edmund Williams with a note indicating the board's approval of the allotments. Entries towards the end indicate a large number of allotments to members of the De Valera family and also include Robert C. Barton [occupation listed as 'farmer'].
The Irish Press was incorporated by Eamon DeValera in 1928 as a vehicle for challenging the anti-Republican bias in the existing Irish newspapers - the first issue was published in 1931. It was partly funded by moneys entrusted to De Valera by American subscribers to an earlier fund for the Irish Republic, an arrangement which gave the De Valera family effective control of the paper and its policy. This ledger is valuable evidence of Fianna Fáil's support base in its early years and as possible evidence as to the De Valera share holding and how it originated.
Physical description: 1; v.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS L 298||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.