Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> "Shambles" Bandon, Co Cork [graphic]
"Shambles" Bandon, Co Cork
|Main Creator:||Connolly, Paddy, photographer|
A 15 sided Meat Market built 1818 by the Devonshire Estate to replace the North Market House which had been built in 1617 and had been demolished 1805 for the construction of a new road. The Shambles had 22 stalls rented out to butchers. A veterinary office and Market Jury room were contained in the house on the right of the Tyre Centre. The main entrance to the market was through an arch where the entrance porch of the house now stands. As butchers moved to shops in the town the Shambles was converted to other uses a sawmill, motor works, stables etc.
|Published / Created:||
18 Oct 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 28 ; frame number: 20
Cumann Seanchais Na Banndan Historical Society
Photograph taken at 00:00, 18 Oct 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Bandon, Co. Cork, Province of Munster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_28/20||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.