Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Mc Swiney Quay [graphic]
Mc Swiney Quay
|Main Creator:||Connolly, Paddy, photographer|
Burlington Quay was constructed in 1808 by the Duke of Devonshire. The term 'Quay' was used due to a proposal to construct a canal from deep water on the Bandon River to Dunmanway, planned and surveyed but never undertaken.The Store on the right was Scott's Cotton Mill built in 1810. The section with corrugated roof was built in 1835 to house the first steam engine operated in Bandon. It has been purchased by Cork County Council for demolition. The site is to be used as a public car park. A new proposal to develop the entire area as far as the chimney into a shopping complex and car park is being examined (in 1995.)
|Published / Created:||
18 October 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 28 ; frame number: 17
Cumann Seanchais na Banndan
Photograph taken at 14:40, 18 October 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Bandon Co. Cork, Province of Munster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_28/17||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.