Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Church street, Athlone, from Custume Place. [graphic]
Church street, Athlone, from Custume Place.
|Main Creator:||O'Brien, Gerroid photographer|
Church Street was probably one of the first streets developed in the Anglo-Norman town of Athlone. It takes its name from the presence of St. Mary's Church. There was a church here from C.1100 AD. This street has long been regarded as the principal shopping street on the Leinster side of Athlone. On the Ranelagh estate map of 1784 it is marked 'Leinster Market Street'. The premises of Thos. Burgess and Sons on the right of this view is a shop with an unbroken tradition of 150 yeas trading.
|Published / Created:||
23 November, 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 2 ; frame number: 34
Old Athlone Society Historical Society
Photograph taken at 13:00 23 Nov. 1993 .
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Athlone, Co. Westmeath, Province of Leinster , Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_2/34||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.