Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> St Gabriel's Hospital, Cabinteely [graphic]
St Gabriel's Hospital, Cabinteely
|Main Creator:||Laffan, Moira, photographer|
The original house on the site was called Cabinteely House. About 1800, it was replaced by another house called 'Marlfield', and remained a private house until 1951 when St Gabriel's Hospital was established. An English Order, the Daughters of the Cross, was invited by the Archbishop of Dublin, Dr McQuaid, to set up the hospital to care for children with congenital heart defects, requiring long term nursing, and also education. There was a need for this service at the time. Since the 1960s the nuns have maintaned a private general hospital, though much of the grounds have ben sold for building deelopemt
|Published / Created:||
26 Sep 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 14 ; frame number: 36
Foxrock Local History Club
Photograph taken at 15.00, 26 Sep 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Cabinteely, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_14/36||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.