Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Cabinteely Village [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Laffan, Moira, photographer|
This crossroads is the centrepiece of the village of Cabinteely. The 1836 Church to the right of centre originally had a thatched roof. It used the same plot of ground given by a friendly landowner as the older chapel built in 1766, which replaced a Mass House in existence in 1731. In these Penal days, Cabinteely had ben the centre of huge parish, covering most of South County Dublin. With Emancipation in 1829, 'Cabinteely was compelled to step down from its more thand two century pre-eminence as the Parish Church of the entire district' - to quote historian, Bishop Donnelly.
|Published / Created:||
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 14 ; frame number: 24
Foxrock Local History Club
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Cabinteely, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster,Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_14/24||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.