Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Kill of the Grange Forge [graphic]
Kill of the Grange Forge
|Main Creator:||Laffan, P. J., photographer|
This house was converted into a forge between 1850 and 1870. Thom's Directory of 1852 listed J. Larkin as having a veterinary forge. In 1871 John Larkin of Kill Road is listed as a Smith and Farrier. The building had a sliding door behind the horseshoe-shaped entrance. There is a wheel plate buried under the tarmac in front of the house, and another below the floor of the kitchen. The floor was originally clay, later sleepers were laid. A pump on the road provided water, and a water trough stored water at the rear. The Larkin family worked the forge through four generations, and converted the building back into a dwelling in the 1960s. The present residents are Micheal Larkin and family. The forge last worked about 1954.
|Published / Created:||
27 Aug 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 14 ; frame number: 1
Foxrock Local History Club
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Kill of the Grange, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_14/11||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.