Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> John's Hall : Umbilicus Hiberniae [graphic]
John's Hall : Umbilicus Hiberniae
|Main Creator:||Gesparo, Michael, photographer|
John's hall was built in 1833 by the Second Earl of Ross in memory of his son John Clere Parsons, who died at 26 years of age. It was used as a schoolhouse where the young were taught a trade. Technical Education was introduced into Birr in 1841 in this hall. When a new Technical School was built the hall was used for various purposes - as a tea rooms, etc. At present it is the home of the Birr Heritage Centre. To the left of the hall can be seen a large boulder with an exciting history called th Seffin (Sul Finn)Stone, or Birr Stone. It is said to have Druidic origins. The stone may or may not be the stone called the Unbilicus Hiberniae, or Naval of Ireland, in ancient times. The cannon gun on the tight is the Crimean Gun captured at the Battle of Sevastopol from the Russioan in 1857 during the Crimean War, and was presented to the people of Offaly by the Secretary of State for War in 1858.
|Published / Created:||
23 Sept 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 3A ; frame number: 9
Birr Historical Society
Photograph taken at 14:10, 23 sept 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Birr, Co. Offaly, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_3A/9||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.