Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Traditional Shop Front, Haverty's Pub [graphic]
Traditional Shop Front, Haverty's Pub
|Main Creator:||Gesparo, Michael, photographer|
This lovely old pub with its traditional facade was built in the early 1800's. There is quite a large area of land attached to the rere of the property on which two-roomed cottages are built, some of which were inihabited up to quite recent times. A horse transport carrier business was operated from here plying between the now defunct railway station and and the local shops and businesses in the town, and Birr barracks. The stabling of this business is still in evidence. The property is bounded in the north side by the walls of the old jail of Birr which dates from around 1628. Recent research in this old part of Birr by Dr. Geraldine Carville, Queens University, Belfast, has resulted in the locating of a site which is almost certainly that of St. Brendan's Monastary. This was St. Brendan the Elder (to distinguish him from St. Brendan the Navigator - and incidentally we believe here that it was St. Cormac not Brendan that discovered America)who established the monastery on 6th Ccntuary at Birr, around which the town gradually grew.
|Published / Created:||
23 Sept 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 3A ; frame number: 5
Birr Historical Society
Photograph taken at 13:50 23 Sept 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Birr, Co. Offaly, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_3A/5||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.