Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Wicklow Lighthouse [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Finlay, Mary, photographer|
The first Lighthouses ( candlepowered) were erected on Wicklow Head in 1778 and were commissioned on Sept1st 1781 to help seamen to negotiate the dangerous range of sandbanks along the Wicklow/Wexford coast. Modernisation of the lights took place in 1818 when two newer lighthouses powered by oil lamps were constructed.The lighthouse in the photograph is one of these.In 1868 the oil lamps were replaced by coal gas and in 1906 by an incandescent oil burner.In 1976 the lights were electrified.Wicklow Head Lighthouse Station wlill become automatic on April 1st 1994.
|Published / Created:||
28 Aug 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 15 ; frame number: 21
Wicklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at 13:10, 28 Aug 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_15/21||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.