Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Mizen Light House Bridge [graphic]
Mizen Light House Bridge
|Main Creator:||Lee Snodgrass, photographer|
The bridge connecting the Mizen Lighr House to the mainland spans 172 feet, deck is 4 1/2 feet wide of 5 inch concrete and is 150 feet above high water. Constructed of angle iron encased in concrete, the arches vary from 1 1/2 feet depth at centre to 3 feet at springing point; width of arches is 12 inches throughout and believed to be the second bridge of this construction built in Europe. Built by Alfred Thorne & Company; Engineer, Noel Ridley, both of Westminister, England, it was completed 1909/1910 after permission received 1907. Mizen Fog Station established May 3, 1909, installed lighht signal in 1959 and automated April 1993. Building being developed as tourist attraction.
|Published / Created:||
24 August 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 13; frame number: 17
Mizen Archaeological and Historical Society
Photograph taken at e.g. 18:50, 24 Aug 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Crookhaven, Co. Cork, Province of Munster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_17/13||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.