Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Georges St. Lr. from top of shopping centre [graphic]
Georges St. Lr. from top of shopping centre
|Main Creator:||Cogan, Eugene photographer|
Lower Georges Street along with upper Georges Street forms the principal thoroughfare of Dun Laoghaire.From end to end the main street extends for a good mile. The name perpetuates the visit of King George V to the town in 1821.Photograph shows street from St. Michaels Church to York Road intersection.The route began to take shape in early 1800Sand by 1830 it was well laid outwith shops and houses. Between 1898 and 1910 most of the structures were rebuilt giving a variety of red brick facaded two storey buildings. Today it presents a variety of shop fronts and signs in assorted colours and shapes. Up to 1949 a double line of tracks for the trams ran through the street which has since been replaced by doubledeck bus. Traffic congestion is a regular feature today but apparently no different to 100years ago when the Town Commissioners were empowered "to control traffic and place fines of forty shillings on any vehicle blocking a street or lane."
|Published / Created:||
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 1 ; frame number: 18A
Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society
Photograph taken at 14:00, 1994
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublilin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_1/18A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.