Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> The Black Castle at Wicklow [graphic]
The Black Castle at Wicklow
|Main Creator:||Finlay, Mary, photographer|
The Black Castle at Wicklow was constructed by the Normans at the site of a previously Viking fortified site. Commenced in the late 1170s by Maurice Fitzgerald it was completed by his sons after his death. The castle, although small in stature, was considered by Sir Edward Poynings (1494) as an important siting at the southern end of the Pale and was constantly under attack from the local gaelic clans the O'Byrnes and O'Tooles. It was destroyed for the final time in pre-Cromwellian times (146) and has stood in its ruined state from that time to the present, a stark reminder of the Norman influence in Ireland.
|Published / Created:||
24 August, 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 15 ; frame number: 12
Wicklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at 20:00, 24 08 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_15/12||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.