Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Pleasure Craft at Wicklow Harbour [graphic]
Pleasure Craft at Wicklow Harbour
|Main Creator:||Finlay, Mary, photographer|
Wicklow was settled in pre-Christian times but the present harbour was developed only in the late 19th century. Earlier development of the port had proved unsuccessful until in 1880 the East (Old)Pier was commenced. It was completed in 1884. This afforded shelter to craft in the Vartry estuary for the very first time. The Packet Pier (Cargo) was completed shortly afterwards and harbour construction was completed between 1907 an 1910 with the building of the North (New) Pier. Trade had developed even in pre-Christian times and exports such a copper ore from Avoca, timber from Coolattin eatates, stone, chippings and more recently wood pulp were/are exported through the port. The harbour offers safe anchorage for pleasure craft in picruresque surroundings.
|Published / Created:||
24 August, 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 15 ; frame number: 9
Wicklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at 19:35, 24 08 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_15/9||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.