Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> St Parick's Church through the Chancel window of the...
St Parick's Church through the Chancel window of the Franciscan Abbey
|Main Creator:||Finlay, Mary, photographer|
In the foreground is the Chancel window of the Franciscan Friary / Abbey of Wicklow. The Abbey was originally constructed by the Norman Barons of Naas, the Fitzgeralds, in the mid 13th century. Destroyed soon afterwards by the local clans the O'Byrnes and O' Tooles it was reconstructed in the early 14th century. Given into the care of the Franciscans it was conficated in 1552 during the reign of Edward VI. It quickly fell into disrepair and in the succeeding centuries it was used as a gaol, arsenal and Courthouse. In the background through the Abbey window stands the impressive St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Constructed through the generosity of the pre-famine people of Wicklow, it was dedicated on October 13th 1844 and built from local granite in the Gothic style.
|Published / Created:||
24 August, 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 15 ; frame number: 6
Wicklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at 19:00, 24 08 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_15/6||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.