Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Leopardstown Racecource [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Laffan, P. J., photographer|
Leapordstown Racecourse opened on 27th August 1888. The site has been used as early as 1860 for the Foxrock Steeplechases and Flat Races. Prior to that it was occupied by the Benedictine monks, first from Ramsgate and later from France before the moved from Buckfast Abbey in Devon. George Quin st up the Leapordstown Club with a capital of £20,000. There was a special platform prvided at Foxrock railway station fo club members and a bridge for the racegoers. In 1988 new stands were constructed and a history of the Racecouce was published.This view from near the Foxrock station entrance includes the four o'lock race on the 24th July 1993 passing. In the background are the grandstands, and the white dome is the indoorsports centre. The slopes of the Three Rock mountain ae also in view.
|Published / Created:||
24 July, 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 14 ; frame number: 1
Foxrock Historical Society
Photograph taken at 16:00, 24 07 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Foxrock Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_14/1||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.