Collection: The Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991 >> The Colony, Achill, Co. Mayo. [graphic]
The Colony, Achill, Co. Mayo.
|Main Creator:||Laffan, P. J., photographer|
The Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991 was a project where one thousand photographs from the Lawrence Collection in the National Library of Ireland were replicated a hundred years later by a team of volunteer photographers, thereby creating a record of the changing topography of the selected locations.
|Published / Created:||
The Colony, also known as the Mission, was established in 1831 by the Reverand Edward Nangle, a Protestant Minister. The Colony settlement included houses, schools, an orphanage, a small hospital and a hotel. It was successful and even published a newspaper the Achill Missionary Herald. During the Famine years they offered food and accommodation to locals willing to convert from Catholicism to the Protestant faith. After some years of decline the Colony closed in the 1880's, and Nangle died in 1883.
Cloudy and bright
Film number: 49; Frame number 21
Road changed. Many houses stil there.
Taken at 11.15, 3 June 1991
Physical description: 1 photograph.
Geographic Coverage: Achill Island, County Mayo, Province of Connacht, Ireland.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|LPP_49A/21A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland