Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Shannon Harbour [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Gesparo, Michael photographer|
This is a small village about two miles north east of Banagher where the Grand Canal ends its journey by joining the River Shannon. The Grand Canal reached this point in 1804 where quite a large sized town evolved which included locks, hotels, stores, shops etc etc. Shannon Harbour was a very important terminus on the canal as the larger hotel there testifies. Larger numbers of people emigrating to USA and other places, as indeed did large numbers of the famine-stricken in the nineteenth century,travelling via Limerick and Dublin, took the boats from this harbour. The harbour comes to notice at an early age. A battle was fought there in 736AD. Northern Chiefs crossed here on their way to Munster and Leinster. The old name for the harbour was Ach Crochda, "the ford of grief", from a battle fought there in 1266 when many men were drowned. Today the harbour is very busy in summer. Large numbers of boats pull in offthe busy Shannon and tie up in this peceful and quiet area.
|Published / Created:||
28 09 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 3 ; frame number: 2
Birr Historical Society
Photograph taken at 15:50, 28 09 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Birr, Co. Offaly, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_3/26||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.