Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> New Houses for St Marys Home and School for the Blind, Merrion...
New Houses for St Marys Home and School for the Blind, Merrion
|Main Creator:||O'Kelly, Gerard photographer|
This new housing estate has been built in the grounds of the Irish Sisters of Charity for the Blind in the community. On these grounds in the 15th century lived the Fitzwilliam family who stayed there in the castle until the year 1700. In 1866 the Irish Sisters of Charity bought the castle for £2000. And the foundation stone of the new building was laid by Cardinal Cullen. The stone cut face and coat of arms of one of the Fitzwilliam family can be inplanted in one of the walls of the new houses.
|Published / Created:||
06/08 May 1995
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 37 ; frame number: 35A
Mount Merrion Historical Society
Photograph taken at 11am, 06/08 May 1995
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Dublin, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_37/35A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.