Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Back of the Pipes [graphic]
Back of the Pipes
|Main Creator:||O'Kelly, Gerard photographer|
In the 12th century the River Poddle was the only water supply to the city of Dublin. On the way from its source in the Dublin mountains it flowed over ground. When it reached Harolds Cross Bridge half of it went by Warren Mount, and the other half cut under the canal past Dolphins Barn by the "back of the pipes" to James St Basin. In 1558 a capenter called Patrick Crosbiw was appointed to look after the trough of timber in Dolphins Barn hence the name "the back of the pipes." These pipes were also made of wood.
|Published / Created:||
07 May 1995
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 37 ; frame number: 21A
Mount Merrion Historical Society
Photograph taken at 8:25 am, 07 May 1995
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Dublin, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_37/21A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.