Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> St Helens House [graphic]
St Helens House
|Main Creator:||O'Kelly, Gerard photographer|
The first occupant of St Helens was a man called Thomas Cooley Esq on the 20th June 1754. He took a lease on one acre of land from Richard Viscount Fitzwilliam for 99 years at an annual rent of £2.50 payable quarterly. The house was originally built in redbrick, and faced later with Portlandstone. In 1851 the property came into the possession of Lord Gough who was born in Limerick in 1779. The Irish Christian Brothers aquired the house and lands in 1927 and stayed there until 1988 when it was sold to Berland Homes Building Contractors. There is now a preservation order on the house and some of the beautiful trees.
|Published / Created:||
06 May 1995
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number:37 ; frame number: 2A
Mount Merrion Historical Society
Photograph taken at 11:30 am, 06 May 1995
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
Dublin, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_37/2A||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.