Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Isolde's Tower [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Casey, Patrick, M. photographer|
When four houses on Essex Quay were demolished in 1993, the remains of Isolde's Tower were exposed. It occupied the North-East angle of the New Wall, built c. 1250. There is no early mention of the Tower until Stanihurst in 1577. Lower Exchange Street was once known as Isolde's Lane, and later became the Blind Quay. A two storey round tower was marked on Speed's map of 1610, as was Isolde's Gate, or Essex Gate, nearby. The connection with the name Isolde is unclear: the Arthurian Legends, Wagner's 'Tristan and Isolde', and Chapelizod Co. Dublin, keep the name alive.
|Published / Created:||
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 10 ; frame number: 28
Old Dublin Society
Photograph taken at 16h00, July 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Co.Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_10/28||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.