Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Isolde's Tower [graphic]
|Main Creator:||Casey, Patrick M. photographer|
When four houses on Essex Quay were demolished in 1993, the remains of Isolde's Tower were exposed. It occupied the New Wall, built c. 1250. There is no early mention of the name of the tower until Stanihurst in 1577. Lower Exchange Street was once known as Isolde's Lane, and later became the Blind Quay. A two storey round tower was marked on Speed's map of 1610, as was Isolde's Gate or Essex Gate nearby. The connection with the name Isolde is unclear; the Arthurian Legends, Wagner's 'Tristan and Isolde', and Chapelizod in Co. Dublin keep the name alive. Also visible in this photograph is a portion of City Wall, believed to be 17th Century, which is joined on to Isolde's Tower, running East-West Parrallel with The River Liffey.
|Published / Created:||
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 10 ; frame number: 31
Old Dublin Society.
Photograph taken at 16:00, July 1993.
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Co.Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_10/31||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.