Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Police Station, Blackrock [graphic]
Police Station, Blackrock
|Main Creator:||Clare, Liam photographer|
This 1788 house, wih its cut granite doorcase, symmetrical facade and bevelled coping stones flanking the steps,was originally known as 'Rockville' on Rock Street. It had uninterrupted sea views until the popularity of the 1834 Dublin-Kingstown Railway gave rise to a new streetscape of Victorisn shops. Amongst them is JackO''Rourke's Public House (on the right of the picture )which was host in the 1950's to notable local residents including Sean O'Sullivan RHA, and writers Maurice Walsh. Lennox Robinson, and Brian O'Nolan (Myles na gCappaleen & Flann O'Brien )This streetscape imprisioned the ' Rockville' and its adjoining sister building ( now the Blackrock Market )The latter still retains the original interior fittings but 'Rockville', by now a Police Station, was refurbished in1939. It housed the Dublin Metropolitan Police 1840-1925 ( note the lamp on the left hand gatepost )and an Garda Siochana 1925-1993 , providing living accomodation for 20 men until 1978.
|Published / Created:||
23 Aug 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 14A ; frame number: 30
Foxrock Local History Club
Photograph taken on 23 Aug 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_14A/ 30||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.