Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Father Murphy Monument [graphic]
Father Murphy Monument
|Main Creator:||Dobson, Eva, photographer|
This monument was erected to commemorate Father Michael Murphy and seven hundred Wicklow and Wexford men who fell at the Battle of Arklow on June 9th 1798. It has been a focal point in the town located at the Parade Ground near the Catholic Church of St Mary's & Peter's. The foundation stone was laid on June 24th 1900 by Fr. P.E. Kavanagh, a grand nephew of Fr Murphy. The exact spot where Fr Murphy was killed is marked by a stone inscribed with his name on Coolgreany Road.
|Published / Created:||
20th Sept 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 36 ; frame number: 9
Arklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at e.g. 14:30, 20th Sept 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Arklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_36/9||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.