Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> Remains of Ormonde Castle [graphic]
Remains of Ormonde Castle
|Main Creator:||Dobson, Eva, photographer|
Arklow Castle: The Castle mentioned in the Grant to Theobold FitzWalter 1st Chief Butler in 1185 A.D., was undoubtedly the Danish fortification erected by Arknel (who gave his name to the town of Arklow) or his descendants, after their arrival in 900 A.D. On this site, shortly after 1200 A.D., Theobold Fitzwalter commenced the building of Arklow Castle. All that remains of the Castle today is part of a round flanking tower and portion of a wall which encircled the Castle Yard or bawn.
|Published / Created:||
20th Sept 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 36 ; frame number: 6
Arklow Historical Society
Photograph taken at 14.30, 20th Sepemtber 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Arklow, Co. Wicklow, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_36/6||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.