Collection: Our Own Place Photographic Project >> The abbey, Hospital, Co.Limerick [graphic]
The abbey, Hospital, Co.Limerick
|Main Creator:||Canty, Mary, photographer|
Hospital Abbey, or church. This is a vertical view of the interior of Hospital church, founded in 1215 by Geoffrey deMarisco as a commandery of Knights Hospitallers. The last master of the Hospitallers, Aneas O'Heffernan, was made Bishop of Emly in 1543. The knights held lands in Cathair Aine from 1200. After the dissolution in 1540 it was leased, with its possessions to William Apsley and afterwards to the Kenmare (Brown )family. Inside the building are 3 effigies, one a double tomb of a knight and his lady and another believed to cover the tomb of the founder..
|Published / Created:||
02 Sept 1993
Project sponsored by RTÉ and Fuji Photo Film (Ireland) Ltd.
Film number: 20A ; frame number: 3
The Lough Gur and District Historical Society
Photograph taken at 17:30, 02 Sept 1993
Physical description: 1 photograph ; 15 x 10cm.
Geographic Coverage: Hospital, Co. Limerick, Province of Munster, Ireland.
|Contained in:||Our Own Place Photographic Project|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|OOP_20A/3||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland.